Green foods are an extremely important part of a healthy diet. In fact, they can even make you feel lucky, because they have myriad key benefits. Moreover, it is easy to incorporate greens into any meal or smoothie –lucky and convenient!. For example, my morning smoothie contains spirulina, spinach and avocado. Most green foods are considered super foods and below are the reasons why:
- Green foods contain a high amount of antioxidants, such as vitamin A, C and E, as well as nutrients iron and zinc, which protect your body.
- Green foods are loaded with special chemicals called phytonutrients, which have a good effect on the body after they are consumed and boost your immune system.
- Green foods are extremely low in calories since they contain a large amount of water. You can eat plenty of green foods, and you don’t have to worry about gaining any weight.
- Green foods are very low carb and are packed with fiber, which helps to keep you full throughout the day.
- Green foods are low in sugar and not processed, which can help regulate your blood sugars throughout the day.
- Vegetables, especially green ones, help alkalize the body, keeping your PH at a healthy, stable level.
- Dark, leafy greens (think spinach and kale) are high in omega-3 fatty acids, which are vital for all body functions and lower bad cholesterol.