Patty’s Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 chicken fryer 4-5 pounds
- 4 quarts of water
- 4 cups of onions chopped
- 2 cups celery ribs chopped
- 2 cans of Campbell’s Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1/4 teaspoons pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups carrots chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup of uncooked Barilla Whole Grain Penne (about 8 ounces)
- ½ cup of Uncle Ben’s Long Grain Brown Rice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 ounce of fresh rosemary
In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook whole chicken fryer in 4 quarts of water for 1 hour until chicken is completely cooked.
While chicken is cooking, on the side, saute’ onions and celery in 1 tablespoon of butter until vegetables are limp and transparent for about 5-7 minutes.
Remove chicken from pot and save water (chicken stock).
Add cream of chicken soup, celery and onions, salt, pepper and thyme to chicken stock and boil for about 20 minutes.
Add chopped carrots and cook until tender for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, when chicken is cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Shred meat into bite-size pieces. Return meat to stockpot and bring to a boil.
Add rice and cook for five minutes, then add pasta and cook for 8 more minutes. Reduce heat to simmer and add fresh parsley, fresh rosemary, stir and remove soup from heat.
Stir in parsley. Adjust seasoning if needed with salt and pepper.
Yield: 10 servings (3-1/2 quarts). Per serving: Calories: 323; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 68 mg; Sodium: 681mg; Carbohydrate: 31g; net Carb: 24g; Dietary Fiber: 7g; Sugar: 6g; Protein: 25g