This is my daughters, Adrienne and Gabby’s favorite soup that I make. Per request of my daughter, Gabby, I am going to Austin this weekend and Gabby and I will prepare it together. This recipe makes a huge amount, about 40 servings, so feel free to cut this recipe in half. Since, I make it once a year, I freeze most of it in single portions and I eat it all year round and still have plenty to give away.
- 1& ½ gallons of water
- 1 large chuck roast, ~2 pounds
- 6 beef flavoring cubes
- 3- 6 oz cans of tomato paste
- 1- 24 oz tomato sauce
- 1-24 oz diced tomatoes
- 2 cans of Rotel tomatoes
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 small stalk of celery, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled, roasted & pureed
- 1 yellow squash, sliced, roasted & pureed
- 1 zucchini, sliced, roasted & pureed
- 2 turnips, diced & roasted
- 1/2 small cabbage, sliced thinly & roasted
- 2 pounds of carrots, sliced & roasted
- 2 pounds of potatoes, diced & roasted
- 2 cups of fresh corn or 1/2 bag of frozen corn
- 2 cups of whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 cup of cilantro, chopped
- add Italian seasoning to roast the vegetables, use cooking spray, preferably Avocado Oil
- add salt and pepper to taste
- Bring water to boil and add chuck roast and cook on medium to high heat for ~2 hours. While, the roast is boiling, add your diced onions, diced celery, tomato paste, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and Rotel tomatoes. Once your chuck roast is cooked and is tender, remove it from the pot, cut the roast into cubes, then place the cubed pieces of back into the pot.
- Then place all the other vegetables in a roasting pan and bake for 30-40 minutes (425 degrees) until they are tender and golden brown. Use cooking spray, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste
- Once the vegetables are done cooking:
- Add the roasted potatoes, carrots, turnips and cabbage to the soup.
- Process the squash, zucchini and garlic in a blender and add to the soup, then stir
- Add corn
- Add pasta
- Add chopped cilantro at the end.
Nutrients: Calories: 229, Total Fat: 9 g, Sat. Fat: 3.6 g, Carbs: 18g, Fiber: 7 g, Net carbs: 11g , Sugars: 6 g, Protein: 18g, Sodium: 342 mg, Cholesterol: 44 mg